Leaks from the pump attachment fitting, or the hose where the fitting connects are fairly common on aging air beds. Fortunately repairing this kind of leak is very simple, and almost anyone can accomplish it in just a few minutes.
If your leak is in the actual chamber you can find out how to fix it by reading How to Repair Air Bed or Air Mattress Leaks
Our air bed pump fittings are direct replacements for most Halcyon, Strata, Infinity, Sarasota, Adjust-a-rest, or any other airbeds that used an Equinox / Infinity Air Inflator Pump or a Renaissance Air Inflation System. If you aren’t quite sure just look at your fitting and compare it to this picture: Click on the image for a larger view. If you are saying to yourself “I think that looks like the one I have…” then it IS the same as the one that you have. In my experience if the fitting on your air bed is different it will be so completely different that there will be no doubt in your mind. If your air bed has a permanently attached hose that is leaking, it’s still possible to repair it. Before you even think about replacing the fitting though try coating the O-ring on the air inflator with a small amount of petroleum jelly. It’s possible that this will be all that you need to do to get a complete seal. You can also replace the o ring quite easily. Gently pry is out of it’s slot with a small screwdriver or similar tool (be careful not to cut it with your tool though) and take it with you to a hardware store or home improvement center to match it up with a replacement. Be aware that a new one may look a bit different than an old o ring that is compressed or dried out. This should cost less than a dollar. Also check the hose itself for signs of cracks or dry rotting of the rubber. This most commonly occurs at the point where the gray plastic fitting is attached to the end of the hose. To determine exactly where your air bed is leaking from make a mixture of liquid dish soap and water, and spray it on the most likely places - after you’ve aired it up nice and firm and detached it from the air inflater - and you will see soap bubbles where ever air is escaping. If you don’t see bubbles, the leak may be in the mattress itself. If you do see bubbles at or near the pump fitting, you will need to replace it.
What you Need:
- Utility knife or other tool sharp enough to cut through wire-reinforced rubber hose
- Petroleum jelly
- A hose clamp or cable (zip) tie
How to do it:
- Cut off the damaged end of the hose and reattach the gray fitting to the good part of the hose. Use a sharp knife to make a clean cut through the hose. If you have to cut off so much of the hose to get to sound material that it is too short, you can extend it with a new length of hose and a coupling that you can easily procure from any hardware or home improvement store. I suggest taking a bit of the old hose with you when you shop.
- Now you need to clean off the old fitting and prepare it to be reattached to the hose. Make sure you remove any glue or pieces of the rubber hose. If you’re old fitting is not usable, you can purchase a set of two new air connector fittings. Coat the end of the fitting with a small amount of petroleum jelly to help ensure a good seal and make it easier to slide the hose on.
- Slide the hose back onto the fitting. It should be a snug fit, and it helps to twist the fitting around a couple times to get it seated.
- Put your hose clamp or zip tie around the hose, near the base of the fitting. Tighten just enough to secure the hose to the fitting - don’t over tighten - you can always tighten it a bit more if it leaks.
- Air it up and check for leaks.
- That should be it! If your air bed continues to lose air, check the hose and mattress again. Otherwise it might be time to purchase a replacement air bed chamber.
Other Replacement Airbed Parts:
- Replacement Air bed Inflator Pump - replacement for all Equinox, Infinity, and Renaissance air inflation systems
- Eclipse Replacement Air Mattress air bladder (chamber) - direct replacement for Equinox, Infinity, Halcyon, Strata and many other air chambers
- Airbed hose pump fitting - connects an air bed mattress to air inflator (Set of 2)
Good luck, and please feel free to call us at 1-877-684-8295 if you have any questions!